Making Game - Idea factory

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Making Game - Idea factory

Post  UF OozY on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:21 am

UF WiredUp4Fun wrote:I vote for snake, and we can make a skeleton of how it works and beef the crap out of the customisability of it.

A good example of what I mean is Jetpack Joyride on smartphones, it's a very simple game in mechanics, but it has a ton of content.

Second this also I use eclipse every day and personally I geany better.

UF OozY
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Spartan19423 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:50 am

UF OozY wrote:
UF WiredUp4Fun wrote:I vote for snake, and we can make a skeleton of how it works and beef the crap out of the customisability of it.

A good example of what I mean is Jetpack Joyride on smartphones, it's a very simple game in mechanics, but it has a ton of content.

Agreed with the idea.

UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Nitsuj2122 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:27 pm

UF Spartan19423 wrote:
UF OozY wrote:

Agreed with the idea.
I also vote for this kind of game. Games like Jetpack Joyride, Snake, Galaga, and the original Sonic the Hedgehog games all have one thing in common. They are insanely fun and simple-to-play games. If we (meaning you, cause all I know is flash Razz) are going to make a game, it should be simple to play and simple to understand. Also simple games are 1000x more addicting! (Proven Fact) Too much depth and detail can ruin games. Take Sonic the hedgehog for example. His best games were simple and were easy to understand. Then the games slowly died when they added more characters, shitty plot and more controls. To sum it up: Good games = Simple + Easy to understand + Goal or check-point oriented.

p.s I wanna help with this project but all I have is ideas not technical knowledge. Any room for me?
UF Nitsuj2122
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF WiredUp4Fun on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:05 am

UF Nitsuj2122 wrote:
I also vote for this kind of game. Games like Jetpack Joyride, Snake, Galaga, and the original Sonic the Hedgehog games all have one thing in common. They are insanely fun and simple-to-play games. If we (meaning you, cause all I know is flash Razz) are going to make a game, it should be simple to play and simple to understand. Also simple games are 1000x more addicting! (Proven Fact) Too much depth and detail can ruin games. Take Sonic the hedgehog for example. His best games were simple and were easy to understand. Then the games slowly died when they added more characters, shitty plot and more controls. To sum it up: Good games = Simple + Easy to understand + Goal or check-point oriented.

p.s I wanna help with this project but all I have is ideas not technical knowledge. Any room for me?
You're not quite right. What makes a good game is a simple mechanic and a LOT of depth. Minecraft is one such example, it has unlimited depth in what you can do.
Sonic had depth too, you had many different levels to beat and you could beat your best times, and you had a lot of fun traversing obstacles. A modern game that has the same depth aspect as Sonic is Rayman Origins, one of the best modern platformers. It has simple graphics and tonnes of levels and creativity, hence a lot of depth.
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Spartan19423 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:05 am

Well anyway simple and with a lot of depth, we still need to generate our own twist into the snake game idea. However it can't go overboard, since we have to aknowladge, how much skills our programmers have. Of course they can learn along the way, but I think at first we can keep it simple to test the limits.

So maybe, if you guys have time (the programmers I mean), you could come together and start planning down how you would build a game together and so on. You know, maybe make a working snake game and later on we could improve with the twists and such.

No pressure though Very Happy

I would love to be there when you discuss the ideas, but I am not much help in coding, just with the general concept how to slove problems.

@Nitsuj
The project is not limited to certain people, if you have ideas, let everyone know and be a part of this as much as you can. A game needs different people, so for example, ideas, like this project right now needs.

UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Vishna on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:34 am

Okay, so it seems that the selection is snake. 1 more question before we can start actually doing something: Shall we do it in 2D or 3D?

I think 3D snake would be not so regular and already would add a thing to this project. Also this allows our modelers to join project also, cause if we make 2D game, they wouldn't have much to do.
UF Vishna
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Norway on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:07 pm

UF Vishna wrote:Okay, so it seems that the selection is snake. 1 more question before we can start actually doing something: Shall we do it in 2D or 3D?

I think 3D snake would be not so regular and already would add a thing to this project. Also this allows our modelers to join project also, cause if we make 2D game, they wouldn't have much to do.

yeah, it, give me something to do xD

PS. we should start it up in the summer, so everyone has the time.
UF Norway
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Ezio on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:15 pm

I'll go ahead and get some music options going. Any preference on style? I'm thinking something more electronic/autotuned stuff. Unless we'd like to have some classical? Smile

Just throwing this out there, though, if we do snake in 3d, how are the controls going to work? plus you'd have to deal with camera angles, and that leads to all sorts of awkwardness. Just my experience with flash 3d games.
UF Ezio
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Norway on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:44 pm

UF Ezio wrote:I'll go ahead and get some music options going. Any preference on style? I'm thinking something more electronic/autotuned stuff. Unless we'd like to have some classical? Smile

Just throwing this out there, though, if we do snake in 3d, how are the controls going to work? plus you'd have to deal with camera angles, and that leads to all sorts of awkwardness. Just my experience with flash 3d games.

The one i want for a game with story would be Two steps from hell, they made music for mass effecl, killzone 3 and many other games. but for snake i think we need something lighter, but not annoying. something like from the impossible game.
UF Norway
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Vishna on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:41 pm

UF Ezio wrote:I'll go ahead and get some music options going. Any preference on style? I'm thinking something more electronic/autotuned stuff. Unless we'd like to have some classical? Smile

Music: Agree with Norway, it should be something simple and IMO not too funky, little bit calmer music would be good, cause that wouldnt annoy you so much.

3D: I have couple ideas, but I don't know, if they can be made to reality. Thats why I suggested JMonkeyEngine, it allows you to do so much more, what you couldnt do just in Eclipse in 3D Java. JME has basic controlls and camera movement built inside, we just need to learn that program a little to work with it.
About more detailed 3D moving and camera ideas I post tomorrow, not so much time atm to give it a go.
UF Vishna
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Norway on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:50 pm

yeah vish, it does not have to be snake though, but something like it, how about a platformer, a fun one?
UF Norway
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Spartan19423 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:12 pm

Ever listened to the soundtrack of a game called "Journey"? It was an Indie game, recieved a ton of awards for its soundtrack. Simple game really (though complex by our standards) but without the soundtrack, it wouldn't have been the same.

UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF OozY on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:17 am

Yes, indie games like Super Meatboy and Journey were amazing, soundtrack and gameplay, but remember, these took years to make. I know that Meatboy took at least 2 years. Are we able to dedicate 6 months or so to making a game?

UF OozY
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Norway on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:00 am

UF OozY wrote:Yes, indie games like Super Meatboy and Journey were amazing, soundtrack and gameplay, but remember, these took years to make. I know that Meatboy took at least 2 years. Are we able to dedicate 6 months or so to making a game?

Yes, but maybe most over holidays and vacations, let's start this summer.

And if we get good at this we could do it for a living Smile
UF Norway
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF WiredUp4Fun on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:17 am

UF Norway wrote:

The one i want for a game with story would be Two steps from hell, they made music for mass effecl, killzone 3 and many other games. but for snake i think we need something lighter, but not annoying. something like from the impossible game.
I have Two Steps From Hell, they do music for movie trailers too, but not appropriate for Snake as such. I like the idea of music such as in the Impossible Game (which I've finished the xbox and first 2 levels of btw with no flags Razz), it fits into the arcade game style of snake. We also have to remember song copyright laws and song permissions, if we have some contacts that are willing to make music for us for free, that would be a better way to go.

We just need to decide on the 3D aspect and if it even works for a game like Snake. You have to remember that 3D does not necessarily add to the Snake experience, you have to be very clever in your design.
Try ask yourself this:
How can we use 3D to add to the experience of Snake?
What does 3D add or take away from a game like Snake?
How is a 2D experience different from a 3D experience? Which is better?
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Ezio on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:39 am

UF WiredUp4Fun wrote:
UF Norway wrote:

I have Two Steps From Hell, they do music for movie trailers too, but not appropriate for Snake as such. I like the idea of music such as in the Impossible Game (which I've finished the xbox and first 2 levels of btw with no flags Razz), it fits into the arcade game style of snake. We also have to remember song copyright laws and song permissions, if we have some contacts that are willing to make music for us for free, that would be a better way to go.

We just need to decide on the 3D aspect and if it even works for a game like Snake. You have to remember that 3D does not necessarily add to the Snake experience, you have to be very clever in your design.
Try ask yourself this:

I'm writing the music. :p And by electronic, I don't mean anything huge, more of just 8-16 bit style music, like some old games, Fire Emblem, for instance. If you've never played that game... go do yourself a favor and play it :p
UF Ezio
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF WiredUp4Fun on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:53 am

I loved Fire Emblem, couldn't finish it though, got really really hard late game :\ Go nuts Ezio Very Happy
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Norway on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:15 am

UF Ezio wrote:
UF WiredUp4Fun wrote:
UF Norway wrote:

Try ask yourself this:

I'm writing the music. :p And by electronic, I don't mean anything huge, more of just 8-16 bit style music, like some old games, Fire Emblem, for instance. If you've never played that game... go do yourself a favor and play it :p

Ye, 8-bit music sounds nice and fitting.
UF Norway
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Ezio on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:00 pm

UF WiredUp4Fun wrote:I loved Fire Emblem, couldn't finish it though, got really really hard late game :\ Go nuts Ezio Very Happy

Which ones have/haven't you played? I might be able to hook you up :p
EDIT: I also need a theme for the music. Or an abstract idea. Anything in words that can let me shape into being.
UF Ezio
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF OozY on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:07 am

Apparently around the next few weeks, I'll actually be making in a game in my computer programming class soooooo.....

UF OozY
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Norway on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:21 am

UF Ezio wrote:
UF WiredUp4Fun wrote:I loved Fire Emblem, couldn't finish it though, got really really hard late game :\ Go nuts Ezio Very Happy

EDIT: I also need a theme for the music. Or an abstract idea. Anything in words that can let me shape into being.

something classical 8 bit ''ON SHROOMs'' music
UF Norway
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF WiredUp4Fun on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:38 am

UF Ezio wrote:

Work on a catchy melody and then work around that. And try a few different moods, like poppy and upbeat, and something chill and mellow, and something a bit darker maybe, atmospheric.

Snakes vs Zombies! Razz jk

As for Fire Emblem, I only played the GBA version.
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF OozY on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:19 am

UF WiredUp4Fun wrote:
UF Ezio wrote:

Work on a catchy melody and then work around that. And try a few different moods, like poppy and upbeat, and something chill and mellow, and something a bit darker maybe, atmospheric.

Snakes vs Zombies! Razz jk

As for Fire Emblem, I only played the GBA version.
NUUUUU!!!! We want to be original, not add a feature to a game that everyone knows XD
And never played Fire Emblem Very Happy

UF OozY
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Ezio on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:48 pm

A. See my let's play of fire emblem Razz
B. I have like 4 of the games, 2 of them are gba Razz
UF Ezio
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Norway on Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:28 pm

what about a snake game but with enemies and in 3d?
UF Norway
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Ezio on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:19 am

UF Norway wrote:what about a snake game but with enemies and in 3d?
Not yet :p Simple for now, remember?
UF Ezio
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top