Games and pipes and whatnot.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Games and pipes and whatnot.

Post  UF Norway on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:43 am

Sooooo, 5 minutes ago i was taking a dump, and i did as one often does when doing such, i was thinking and then this random thought popped up into my head. We, the clan, could Totally make a game, i mean we got writers like vish and spartan and smart people like jake.

Anyway, if we wanted to, don't you think we could?

Ps. We would be called Falcon Studios.

PPS, it's a dangerous thing, dear frodo. Taking a shit.
UF Norway
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Re: Games and pipes and whatnot.

Post  UF Norway on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:45 am

Ppps. The clan sounds like KKK dun it?
UF Norway
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF WiredUp4Fun on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 pm

UF Norway wrote:Ppps. The clan sounds like KKK dun it?
No

As for the game company idea, I've thought of it as well in a mythical sense. We'd need some serious dedication from everyone to pull it off... give it a few years when everyone has their degrees. Maybe Michael can make a jet for us to fly with, and Norway can send us some snow, and I'll be the human relations officer.
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Garanas on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:19 pm

Incase anyone actually does think about it:

I've been trying it for a while, to make a game. Even a simple one. And it's no easy task.
Many many things are involved, but so far the most difficult part is to make it actually all work, and work everything out.

The coding.

I'm willing to throw another bet in it however, if others are willing to join in Smile

I recommend Unity.

http://unity3d.com/

Last edited by UF Garanas on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added link.)

UF Garanas
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Norway on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:20 pm

UF WiredUp4Fun wrote:
UF Norway wrote:Ppps. The clan sounds like KKK dun it?
No

As for the game company idea, I've thought of it as well in a mythical sense. We'd need some serious dedication from everyone to pull it off... give it a few years when everyone has their degrees. Maybe Michael can make a jet for us to fly with, and Norway can send us some snow, and I'll be the human relations officer.

well as long as it doesn't melt o.O

and i do know alot of people who would help
but ya know, it would take to much time and effort to coordinate but it was a nice thought.
UF Norway
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Spartan19423 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:11 pm

Okey, Norway, mate, it's a lovely idea, but there is one big BUT!... ( and not butt...)

The idea of making games is way more complicated as stated many times before. Don't get me wrong, I would love nothing more then to make games with you guys, but here is the thing:

A while back we had this idea that Kaspar would learn Unity well enough to start programming a game in it, Jip would be doing the modeling, I would do the textures and we would make a REALLY simple game. Needless to say, that we would have been shining on the forums if we had ever got to some progress. We didn't.

Now I would like to write stories for games, I bet Kaspar would do and I guess Jip and Beazt here wouldn't mind doing some modeling, if we had an actualy plan, that would include when and where we have to be at certain points of time. But the problem is that such a thing needs a lot of man power. VERY skilled man power. So sadly, unless you have three extremly talented programmers lying around somewhere, then the only game we could make would probably be tetris or new angry birds, no FPS though.

I do not want to bash your idea mate, but this is just the reality of things. If you do eventually have some genius idea, a plan and need people to work on the project and help, I'll be more then willing to help, but until then, it will be as much as a dream as it was in that toilet.

That's why I stuck to writing and art and that is why I am going to study gaming design and IT next year.

There is of course the idea that we could do something else unified as a clan, but again, it needs project, planning and so on.

UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF OozY on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:59 pm

If need be I could do music (maybe) and some programming if it was a go from the clan. I like the idea but in reality I'm not sure if such an idea could ever become a reality (me, ezio, and Nitsu have done great to get the server how it is today). (On a side note to the programming aspect, my programming instructor basically told me that I could take a standardized test at the end of the year to be certified to program in JAVA or another language of my choice, I'll ask more details tomorrow.) So the programming wouldn't really be that hard from my side, just a long time of learning (or good practice Very Happy). Our clan is more than cappable of achieving such a task, with multiple programmers, story-writes and graphic designers in this clan. The music is something I could help with, (I can't personally read sheet but say the word and I can start learning with having so many friends in band XD). Actually saying the before has reminded me that Ezio does know how to read sheet, (should be able to write too Razz). The only downside is time. We all have lives outside of this clan which mostly takes up time from playing games, which is something most, if not all, of us do. Making a game or anything for that matter takes time, I barely have time for simple let's plays. I do like the idea of a Falcon productions or something similar to this because of me making YouTube videos, this gives us some spotlight. Before I ramble someone else post some more ideas Razz

UF OozY
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Ezio on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:54 pm

For what it takes, I know a little JAVA, know DOS, little C++, and HaloCE Mapping script. (Like we're gonna need that Razz) But yea. On a minor scale, look at squads, done in our own clan. That took some serious effort on the part of you four gentlemen. I'd love to do it, myself, honestly. But we don't have the appropriate resources and skills needed to do it at the moment. I'd say, if anything, this would be something we'd start planning now; the more detail we put into planning and mapping it out, the better it can be when we all finally have the skills and time necessary down the road, say at least 4-6 years from now.

UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Ezio on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:04 pm

UF OozY wrote:Actually saying the before has reminded me that Ezio does know how to read sheet, (should be able to write too Razz).

Note. Playing the piano and the clarinet and WRITING music are 2 different universes. That being said, I have people who can do it for me Razz But yes, I can read three different clefs of music.

UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF WiredUp4Fun on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:01 am

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/show/extra-credits

Okay, everyone go to this site and watch, there are 5 seasons and a lot of insight in game design.
Oliver and Vishna, take note of season 5 episode 20. I've been keeping up with this series for some time now.

Enjoy!!
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Garanas on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:40 am

Episode 20 in season 5 is absolutely right.
Everything you come up with are mostly impossible to make, atleast for me and probably the rest of you all, simply because they're too complex.

I do have an idea, and I already have certain things of that working:

I've already made a first person character (the last couple of months) that is capable of moving around, jumping and such.
I've also already made it possible to press a button and to (for example) make lights brighter or open a door.
And the main idea of the game would be that there is that you can't attack. You'll always be on the defensive.
You simply need to run away and hide.

I don't know about you all, but I'm willing to give it a try.

Oliver is right however that Kasper and I tried it before, but maybe with an entire clan (even if it's just opinions) and a place to showoff what's working (this forum) this could work. But remember, start small.

UF Garanas
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Spartan19423 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:00 am

Okey, I will try to include everything I've read so far and give some feedback on my part

First, I do love the enthusiasm that the Clan has for making such an effort together. Seeing as how much of a multitalent clan we have, we definitaly have a chance to putting together some certain piece of work. But as stated before as well, the job we can do right now, is around the level of tetris or some other good idea we can do: It has to be simple. That is as we do not have the skills requiered to make an epic game that would include epic graphics, solid storyline, badass music and so on.

Secondly I did like the idea that in the future, this could be something. I mean eventually it is worth a shot, since Halo first started off in a basement with a very few people working on it as well (around five or so). So this is not utopia in the future, but first we need to aquire these certain set of skills.

Now @Dave, yeah, I watched the episode that you said (season 5 episode 20). I guess you put it there, since we are usually doing writing with Kaspar and since you heard about the game making process idea we used to had. When we had the idea to do the game, the idea was that we would build something really simple, with a great idea behind it, but no story at all. "Squads" has always been a child of fiction, set to play out in a book storyline, a series (animated or TV) or a comic book. The problem with games would be, that it would have to be rewritten as it is not engaging enough for a player and that is what games are all about: The player has to be engaged in the storyline, they are to live the story through the main characters eyes that they are playing. Who didn't want to kill shepard for betraying you in CoD mw2? Or who didn't want to save earth as Master Chief?

So if we were making a game, we would definiatly first build the game in the matter of art, how easy it would be to make models and programming. That would be the start game. As for something in the long run, I know that story would come after and all the cutscenes and so on. That requires solid writing, that is rarely achieved as it has to be original, but as said before, engaging.

@Jip It would be certainly helpful to post things on the forums and receive feedback, but as I recall the feedback usually setteles for "That's awsome!" and after three times of that, it does not tend to progress very much. So until then it will be intetersting to build because of that, but we also need motivation to go beyond that.

UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Norway on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:06 pm

UF Spartan19423 wrote:Okey, I will try to include everything I've read so far and give some feedback on my part

First, I do love the enthusiasm that the Clan has for making such an effort together. Seeing as how much of a multitalent clan we have, we definitaly have a chance to putting together some certain piece of work. But as stated before as well, the job we can do right now, is around the level of tetris or some other good idea we can do: It has to be simple. That is as we do not have the skills requiered to make an epic game that would include epic graphics, solid storyline, badass music and so on.

Secondly I did like the idea that in the future, this could be something. I mean eventually it is worth a shot, since Halo first started off in a basement with a very few people working on it as well (around five or so). So this is not utopia in the future, but first we need to aquire these certain set of skills.

Now @Dave, yeah, I watched the episode that you said (season 5 episode 20). I guess you put it there, since we are usually doing writing with Kaspar and since you heard about the game making process idea we used to had. When we had the idea to do the game, the idea was that we would build something really simple, with a great idea behind it, but no story at all. "Squads" has always been a child of fiction, set to play out in a book storyline, a series (animated or TV) or a comic book. The problem with games would be, that it would have to be rewritten as it is not engaging enough for a player and that is what games are all about: The player has to be engaged in the storyline, they are to live the story through the main characters eyes that they are playing. Who didn't want to kill shepard for betraying you in CoD mw2? Or who didn't want to save earth as Master Chief?

So if we were making a game, we would definiatly first build the game in the matter of art, how easy it would be to make models and programming. That would be the start game. As for something in the long run, I know that story would come after and all the cutscenes and so on. That requires solid writing, that is rarely achieved as it has to be original, but as said before, engaging.

@Jip It would be certainly helpful to post things on the forums and receive feedback, but as I recall the feedback usually setteles for "That's awsome!" and after three times of that, it does not tend to progress very much. So until then it will be intetersting to build because of that, but we also need motivation to go beyond that.

Well, there is Talent... and ''Talent'' where the last of which belongs to me. I tried to learn 3D modeling and i kinda know a little of what im doing but other than that, i only have a vivid imagination.
UF Norway
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Norway on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:10 pm

I like how this is becoming a legit idea xD. But one thing, if the clan was to make a game, I think something as simple as a round based survival game would be a good starting point, maybe even make it multiplayer if the programming guys could figure it out. Neutral
UF Norway
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Ezio on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:28 pm

UF Garanas wrote:Episode 20 in season 5 is absolutely right.
Everything you come up with are mostly impossible to make, atleast for me and probably the rest of you all, simply because they're too complex.

I've already made a first person character (the last couple of months) that is capable of moving around, jumping and such.
I've also already made it possible to press a button and to (for example) make lights brighter or open a door.
And the main idea of the game would be that there is that you can't attack. You'll always be on the defensive.

Oliver is right however that Kasper and I tried it before, but maybe with an entire clan (even if it's just opinions) and a place to showoff what's working (this forum) this could work. But remember, start small.

Amnesia much?

UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Vishna on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:04 am

UF Ezio wrote:
UF Garanas wrote:Episode 20 in season 5 is absolutely right.

Amnesia much?

Maybe.

But we don't have to think only for fps and horror games, there are tons of other genres what we can use.
UF Vishna
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Beazt on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:31 pm

I don't think idea of a game is too far fetched, however as others have said it would have to be simple.
No complex fighting mechanics, score system as simple as possible, simple scenes. (Look at slender. Simple idea that works, story that doesn't require complex scenery to be expressed)
Reality is that games can be simple to make or really hard to make. It all comes down to what skills we already have and are we able to find game design that doesn't require a lot of new knowledge.

I can't program shit (have been messing with arduino but nothing advanced though), However I have been building my artistic skills for the past few months. Hell I even got myself a tablet for zbrush.

TL;DR
I think tank game should be within a reach.
UF Beazt
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Vishna on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:38 pm

I think that if we want that this thing would get started then we need to start bombing ideas. So if you are interested and have ideas, shoot.

Also you could write about what you are good in, so if this gets going we have knowledge who can do what.
UF Vishna
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Spartan19423 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:01 am

UF Beazt wrote:I don't think idea of a game is too far fetched, however as others have said it would have to be simple.
No complex fighting mechanics, score system as simple as possible, simple scenes. (Look at slender. Simple idea that works, story that doesn't require complex scenery to be expressed)
Reality is that games can be simple to make or really hard to make. It all comes down to what skills we already have and are we able to find game design that doesn't require a lot of new knowledge.

I can't program shit (have been messing with arduino but nothing advanced though), However I have been building my artistic skills for the past few months. Hell I even got myself a tablet for zbrush.

TL;DR
I think tank game should be within a reach.

Have you done some pictures that you could show already? I'd love to see what you've done, specially since I've been dealing with art quite some time.

UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Beazt on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:06 am

UF Spartan19423 wrote:
Have you done some pictures that you could show already? I'd love to see what you've done, specially since I've been dealing with art quite some time.
I'd rather not show my zbrush doodles. Nothing interesting anyway, rocks and occasional brick wall.
Spoiler:
Photoshop stuff
UF Beazt
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Garanas on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:06 am

UF Beazt wrote:
UF Spartan19423 wrote:
I'd rather not show my zbrush doodles. Nothing interesting anyway, rocks and occasional brick wall.
Spoiler:
Photoshop stuff

I know the feeling Beazt.

Honestly a tank game should be within reach, yes.

UF Garanas
UF Member
UF Member

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Spartan19423 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:14 am

UF Beazt wrote:
UF Spartan19423 wrote:
Spoiler:
Photoshop stuff

Well you gotta start somewhere Wink

UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF OozY on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:58 pm

UF Garanas wrote:
UF Beazt wrote:
UF Spartan19423 wrote:
Spoiler:
Photoshop stuff

I know the feeling Beazt.

Honestly a tank game should be within reach, yes.
And we shall call it Angry Tanks Very Happy

UF OozY
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF WiredUp4Fun on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:28 pm

Well, I can do the math of a game. I am very experienced with matrices and data management xD
UF WiredUp4Fun
UF Admin
UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UF Spartan19423 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:29 am

I can write a decent story and also do a lot of artistic work on anything.

UF Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top